First Christian Church is older than Emporia itself.
The church was organized by Soloman G. Brown in 1856, one year before the Emporia township was determined. Mr. Brown had come to Kansas with his wife and family in 1855. Soon after his arrival, Mr. Brown called in a few of his neighbors and together they organized the first church in this area. For as long as there was no building in which to meet, the members met in the homes for worship.
The First Christian Church was also Emporia’s first church building. It was built in 1859 at the corner of 7th and Exchange. In 1883, the building was moved to 8th and Congress.
In 1883, the second building for First Christian Church was built at the corner of 7th and Exchange. It was dedicated on May 12th, 1884 and stood until a new building was erected in 1904.
The third church building was constructed at 7th and Market. It was dedicated July 14, 1907 and was used until our current building was erected in 1956.
Over the 150+ years, twenty-one ministers have led the congregation of the First Christian Church of Emporia.