First Christian Church of Emporia is older than Emporia itself. The church was organized by Soloman G. Brown in 1856, one year before the Emporia township was determined. Mr. Brown had come to Kansas with his wife and family in 1855. Soon after his arrival, Mr. Brown called in a few of his neighbors and together they organized the first church in this area. For as long as there was no building in which to meet, the members met in the homes for worship.